Bittman’s Kitchen: Simple Avocado Soup With Crab Salad
Avocado, crab, and corn are delicious, and require zero fuss. Combining them gives you a soup that’s creamy, crunchy, briny, and beautifully colored. Plus, you don’t even have to turn on the stove.
3 medium avocados
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 ears fresh corn
2 cups lump crab meat
hot sauce (optional)
1. Halve the avocados and the lime. Pit the avocados and scoop the flesh into a blender.
2. Add milk, chili powder, and a sprinkle of salt to the blender. Squeeze in juice of half the lime; reserve the rest.
3. Purée until smooth, then put the blender in the freezer.
4. Husk the corn and cut the kernels off the cob.
5. Pick through the crabmeat and discard the pieces of shell or cartilage. Trim and chop the scallions.
6. Combine the crab, corn, and scallions in a medium mixing bowl. Squeeze in the juice of the remaining 1/2 lime, add a dash of hot sauce (optional), sprinkle with salt, and toss to combine.
7. Retrieve the avocado soup from the freezer, taste, and adjust the seasoning. Divide the soup among 4 large bowls. Top each with the crab mixture and tortilla chips. Serve immediately.
- Teen vs. Food Critic: Taste-Testing a Viral Cookie
- We Tested the World’s First Desktop Mealworm Farm
- Watch What Happens When You Put Two Giant Cream Puffs Under Pressure
- Watch: Are Grain Bowls Made by Robots the Food of the Future?
- Watch: NYC’s Biggest Chocolate Factory Is a Queens Institution
- These Perfect Bistro Desserts Will Remind You of the Power of French Pastry
- A New-Look Diner Serves NYC’s Boldest Brunch Sandwich
- These Life-Changing Tater-Tot Nachos Speak for Themselves
- Don’t Sleep on This Fantastic, Totally Unique Pho
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Buffalo Shrimp With Blue Cheese
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Party-Ready Queso Fundido
- Make Mark Bittman’s Simple Avocado Soup With Crab Salad
- New York’s Most Exciting New Steakhouse Is Also a Korean BBQ Joint
- Bittman’s Kitchen: A Fast and Furious Turkey Lunch
- How to Make a Healthy Chicken Dinner in Under 13 Minutes
- Mark Bittman’s Trick for the Fastest-Possible Grilled Cheese
- How to Make Mark Bittman’s Tuna Poke in Under 10 Minutes
- Make Mark Bittman’s Thai-Style Steak Wraps in Under 10 Minutes
- Mark Bittman’s Breakfast Bruschetta Is the Perfect Busy-Morning Meal
- You Need to Try Rabbit Lasagna