Mark Bittman’s Breakfast Bruschetta Is the Perfect Busy-Morning Meal
Some days, breakfast needs to happen quickly, but that doesn’t necessitate toaster waffles or fast-food sandwiches. This breakfast bruschetta is endlessly versatile. Use strawberries and peaches (or whatever fruit you have on hand) and just follow the basic rules. You can have a satisfying meal ready in under 13 minutes.
Makes: 4 servings
8 thick slices any rustic bread (a little stale is fine)
1 cup strawberries
2 medium peaches
Several sprigs fresh mint
3 tablespoons honey
1. Turn the broiler to high; put the rack 4 inches from the heat.
2. Put the slices of bread on a baking sheet and broil, turning once until browned on both sides, 2 to 5 minutes. While the bread is toasting, hull and chop the strawberries, pit and chop the peaches, strip the mint leaves and chop them.
3. Combine the strawberries, peaches, and mint in a small bowl. Add honey to taste.
4. Top the toasted bread with the fruit mixture, and return the tray to the broiler for around 30 seconds, being careful not to burn the bread.
- Meet the NYC Restaurant Workers Still Working Throughout the Shutdown
- The Hunt for NYC’s Best Cheesecake
- The Hunt for NYC’s Best Sushi
- The Hunt for NYC’s Best Tacos
- I Tried to Become a Chocolatier at Jacques Torres Chocolates
- I Tried to Become a Waitress at Junior’s
- We Sent a Food Critic to the Museum of Pizza
- I Tried to Become a World-Class Cheese Expert in One Day
- Which Breakfast Is Better: Newfangled Acai Bowls, or Classic Eggs and Bacon?
- Teen vs. Food Critic: Taste-Testing a Viral Cookie
- We Tested the World’s First Desktop Mealworm Farm
- Watch What Happens When You Put Two Giant Cream Puffs Under Pressure
- Watch: Are Grain Bowls Made by Robots the Food of the Future?
- Watch: NYC’s Biggest Chocolate Factory Is a Queens Institution
- These Perfect Bistro Desserts Will Remind You of the Power of French Pastry
- A New-Look Diner Serves NYC’s Boldest Brunch Sandwich
- These Life-Changing Tater-Tot Nachos Speak for Themselves
- Don’t Sleep on This Fantastic, Totally Unique Pho
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Buffalo Shrimp With Blue Cheese
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Party-Ready Queso Fundido