A Buffalo Federal Court judge approved a hefty settlement to a girl who pulled a scalding hot Denny’s coffee right into her lap from the table’s edge at 14 months old. The parents of Tatyana Adames, now 5, said the waitress was negligent for putting it there, and that her inattention resulted in first- and second-degree burns over their daughter’s chest, neck, and abdomen.
The incident left Adames in a Pennsylvania hospital for several weeks, far from home in Puerto Rico. She’s recovered, but her family says that heat still causes an itchy rash. The hard figure was sealed, but it’s estimated in the ballpark of $500,000. That amount will just about cover it — doctors have told Tatyana’s parents that her accumulated lifetime medical costs as a result of the burn will total more than $340,000.