In October, the parents of a 14-year-girl sued Monster after their daughter drank two 24-ounce cans and died from “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity complicating mitral valve regurgitation in the setting of Ehler’s-Danlos syndrome,” which is a heart condition. Now the company’s fighting back: Monster hired physicians to review Anais Fournier’s medical records, who found that she died naturally owing to a preexisting heart condition — and that no blood test confirmed the impact of caffeine. The mention of “caffeine toxicity” came after Fournier’s mother told the medical examiner that Fournier consumed energy drinks before her death; the examiner couldn’t confirm whether a blood test actually checked caffeine levels. Monster decided to announce these findings during a press conference.
Monster’s also making the claim that Fournier frequently drank energy drinks and Starbucks beverages, which caused no prior problems for her. But that’s like saying that a drug addict had done heroin before without incident, so drugs must not be a cause of death. Fournier’s family’s lawyer negated Monster’s claims with a bold statement: “In America, a jury of our peers determines justice. Not doctors paid by billion-dollar corporations to attend press conferences.” The Fourniers should make sure to argue that Monster has been cited in at least six reports of death and over 30 reports of “adverse reactions.”