Is there any holiday closer to the hearts of Americans than Bastille Day? We know we can’t wait to fire up the grill and throw some morteau on, to celebrate the liberation of political prisoners in 1789 before settling in with the family for our annual screening of A Tale of Two Cities. It’s Saturday— like we have to remind you!— and there are some things planned at Frenchy places around town, starting with the French Market downtown. From 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, singer Greta Pope will perform French cabaret songs as you munch on Montreal smoked meat, French wine and cheese from Pastoral, and whatever else French is around the market… like banh mi. More Bastille festivities follow.
• Maison will mark the day with a half-priced raw bar starting at 4 p.m., and a special sampling of sparkling French wines throughout the evening. Reservations are recommended.
• Bistronomic will offer a $39 prix fixe Friday through Sunday, with “a Blue, White & Red Bistronomic Baked Alaska made with Blueberry Fruit Salad, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Nichols Farm Strawberry Coulis in honor of the colors of the French flag.”
• Deca Restaurant + Bar in The Ritz-Carlton is serving up free French fries with cocktail purchases now through the 14th.
• Pierrot Gourmet in The Peninsula has French specials all this week like duck confit on crushed potatoes with frisés salad and Lobster Thermidor flatbread,
• Mon Ami Gabi extends Bastille Day from Thursday the 12th to next Wednesday with specials like chilled pea soup with radish and mint, or classic bouillabaise with smoky Rouille.