We knew Magnolia was coming; still, it was hard to imagine New York’s most famous bakery setting up shop in the brand new, and still relatively empty, Block 37. But Magnolia Bakery is here and plans to open on Saturday. Yesterday we stopped by the shop to get a preview of the space, take a look at the goods, and, yes, eat a cupcake or two. Check out the slideshow we put together, along with a menu of what you have to look forward to.
It’s bigger than we imagined. The ceilings are high, and the counter is long. If you’ve ever been to the original Magnolia Bakery in New York, you’ll remember that it’s an extremely tiny storefront. Steve Abrams, the owner and CEO, let us know that the kitchen at this location is bigger than entire New York shop. Luckily, the design elements do a good job at creating a warm and homey experience.
Though the bakery is most famous for starting the whole cupcake craze, everyone involved with the bakery has been adamant that there is more to Magnolia than that. Turns out they were right. Cupcakes only make up a portion of the desserts available, as we encountered rows and rows of cakes, cookies, cheesecakes, and puddings. Below is the base menu, which showcases just a few of the items that will be in the daily rotation.
Magnolia Bakery, 108 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601; 312-346-7777
At Magnolia, our cupcakes and cakes are baked from scratch in small batches throughout the day. Magnolia bakes the old fashioned way without the use of preservatives or stabilizers the goods are meant to be enjoyed right away.
- Magnolia’s Classic Cupcakes iced in Magnolia’s own signature pastel buttercream and hand colored sprinkles.
- Icebox Cakes made with freshly whipped sweet cream, strawberry purée or pure peppermint extract.
- Magnolia’s Famous Banana Pudding with fresh bananas, creamy vanilla pudding and layers of vanilla wafers.
- Individual Sized Cheesecakes in an assortment of delectable flavors
- Brownies, Bars, Cookies & Squares
- Fresh from the oven Coffee Cakes and Breakfast Muffins
- Magnolia Blend Coffee - Our rich and delicious Magnolia Blends pair perfectly with all our desserts and breakfast items.
Magnolia Bakery also offers pre-packed or “pack your own” gift baskets. Wrapped in tulle and tied with a bow, the gift baskets are great for birthday parties, hostess gifts or to take to a concert in Millennium Park.
Cupcakes: $3.00 for classic; $3.50 for specialty
Cakes (by the slice): $4.50 for classic; $6.00 for specialty
Cakes (whole): $32-$60
Cookies: $1 - $3
Bars and Brownies: $2.50
Banana Pudding: $4.75 for 12 oz; $5.75 for 16 oz
Pies (by the slice): $4; (whole): $24