Among the many events we mentioned yesterday happening in late August in celebration of Chez Panisse’s 40th birthday were some exclusive fundraising dinners in private homes around the Bay Area. Now, via the Scoop, we have the full list of dinners, including a lavish Chinese banquet at the home of local legend Cecilia Chiang with special guest Ruth Reichl; a Provençal Dinner with chef Traci Des Jardins and wines from Scribe at a private home in Berkeley; and a pig roast in Michael Pollan’s backyard with pitmasters Samin Nosrat and Jack Hitt — which is the closest most of us will come to experiencing something like this drool-worthy, 36-hour dinner party at Pollan’s house that the NYT wrote about last year. All the dinners will occur simultaneously on August 27, with pricetags ranging from $500 to $2,000 per person, all proceeds benefiting The Edible Schoolyard. See more complete details below.
Tickets for the dinners are available by calling Krissa Nichols at (510) 843-3811.
The full list:
• An Intimate Chinese Banquet at the home of Cecilia Chiang with Patricia Unterman, special guest Ruth Reichl and Bill He in the kitchen with Cecilia.
• Una Cena Sul Campo at the Berkeley hills home and garden of China specialist Orville Schell and wife Baifang Liu with chef Mona Talbott of the American Academy in Rome.
• Sicilian Wild Boar Roast at Angelo Garro’s Renaissance Forge with chef Melissa Fernandez, Boz and Dominique Scaggs and NPR Kitchen Sisters’ Davia Nelson.
• A Napa Garden Party with chef Kelsie Kerr, and Cowgirl Creamery’s Peggy Smith and Sue Conley. At the Napa home of Patty Curtan and Stephen Thomas, with special guest Margrit Mondavi.
• A Provençal Dinner prepared by Traci Des Jardins at the Berkeley home of Ross Levy and author Daphne Miller with special guest Raj Patel, wines from Scribe winery and flowers by Louesa Roebuck.
• Supper in the Pantry hosted by Sam Hamilton and Jennifer Chaiken, with chef Brian Espinoza in the carriage house at San Francisco interiors store, March.
• Pig Roast! A backyard pig roast at the Berkeley home of Michael Pollan and Judith Belzer with pitmasters Jack Hitt and Samin Nosrat.
• A Middle Eastern Lamb Roast at the Piedmont home of Frank and Maryellen Herringer with chefs Michael Emanuel, Chad Robertson, and June Taylor. Special guests: artists Hung Liu and Catherine Wagner.
• ¡Flamenco y Paella! cooked over the flames at the Berkeley home of Anthony and Daniella Sueuga with Michael and Sylvie Sullivan of Beaune Imports.
• Nose-to-Tail with Chris Kronner and author Novella Carpenter in the Rose Street cottage of Jane White in North Berkeley.
• Supper in a Jewel Box at the San Francisco home of Peggy Knickerbocker and Robert Fisher with Christopher Hirsheimer and Niloufer Ichaporia King.
• Omedetai! in the Berkeley hills home and garden of artist Lauren McIntosh of Tail of the Yak and Steven Walrod with chef Sylvan Mishima Brackett of Peko Peko Catering.
• Carciofi alla Giudia. A Roman meal with chefs Christopher Lee and Joan Nathan and special guest Daniel Ellsberg at the home of Hilary and Daniel Goldstine, nestled in the Berkeley Hills.