Looking for stuff to do for the next week? There’s plenty going on that’s not Restaurant Week-related, starting tonight with Queers on the Avenue. There are opportunities for rodeo ropin’, pirate-talkin’ and meat decreasin’. We’ve conveniently broken them down by date for you, right this way…
• Tonight, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Paradiso hosts this month’s Queers on the Avenue happy hour and has also turned it into a fundraiser for ActionAIDS. Paradiso will donate 20 percent of sales to the nonprofit. Show up and get complimentary hors d’oeuvres and plus drink specials including a $5 sangria.
• Wednesday, September 16, 5:30 to 7 p.m.: Philabundance will host its own Restaurant Week-endorsed event at the Center City Macy’s. Chef Todd English will join Douglas Rodriguez from Alma de Cuba, Brian Wilson from Le Castagne and Olivier De Saint Martin from Caribou Cafe; chefs will prepare signature dishes for sampling. Visit the web site to see other participants. $25, all proceeds benefit the nonprofit. RSVP at 1-888-622-9769
• Thursday, September 17: Pub and Kitchen will celebrate their first anniversary by cracking open a keg of their signature “Pub and Kitchen Anniversary Ale,” created by Yards and PandK chef Johnny Mac. They’re charging $1 a draft until the first keg is kicked, after that the price goes up to $4.
• Thursday, September 17, 9 p.m. until closing: Both Cantina Dos Segundos and Cantina Los Caballitos are throwing a Pamplonada party, celebrating Mexico’s tequila-soaked festival of San Miguel, the yearly running of the bulls. There will be a mechanical bull (!) at Caballitos and a “rodeo roper” at Segundos. Bonus: dress in western wear or rodeo gear and win prizes and discounted drinks.
• Saturday, September 19: Rum Bar. It’s the second annual Talk Like a Pirate Day at the Rittenhouse tavern. All you have to do is show up and speak like an extra in Pirates of the Caribbean to score discounted $3 Captain Morgans drinks and $2 Rum Barrel lagers.
• Sunday September 20, 2009, 6 p.m.: Almost Meatless dinner. Local authors Tara Mataraza Desmond and Joy Manning and Malvern restaurant Alba are partnering up for a four-course dinner based on recipes from their low-meat cookbook Almost Meatless. The cost includes a signed copy of the book. View the menu here. $65 per person plus tax and gratuity, includes a signed copy of the book. Wine pairing available for and additional $25 per person. Discount available for PASA and Slow Food members. Call for reservations, 610.644.4009. $50 deposit required.