First Chow Church, now the Tadich Grill. This has been a busy last few days for restaurant fires. The Chronicle reported that a fire broke out in the city’s oldest restaurant at about 11 a.m. today, causing some $20,000 in damage and forcing the restaurant to close. Like the fire at Chow Friday, this was a flue fire. It originated in a wood-burning stove, sending flames into the sky. A spectator on Flickr noted that firefighters cut a hole in the roof, but the Examiner reported that they doused the blaze by sending water down the flue, causing damage primarily to the food in the kitchen. ABC reported that the restaurant will be back open tomorrow. A woman who answered the phone at the restaurant declined comment when we called. However, If you’re downtown and hungry, you can push your way through the spectators and insurance investigators on California Street to get to Perbacco, which is still open.
Fire Guts Chow Kitchen [Grub Street SF]