Chef Mohan Ismail of RockSugar Pan Asian Kitchen in Century City wants to teach L.A. how to cook Singapore street food this Saturday by taking Hawker Center creations and turning them on their head. For $75, 12 patrons can get a private lesson and wine pairing while preparing Singapore chili shrimp, Newton Circus baked Chilean sea bass, bubur cha cha, and teh tarik, or pulled milk tea.
If you’re short on time or money, we’ve provided Ismail’s recipe for the chili shrimp here, the chef’s update of Singapore’s nationally beloved chili crab, as well as the necessary Sambal that goes with it.
RockSugar Pan Asian Kitchen
Saturday, July 25th
If you can’t make it, give these recipes a shot yourself:
Singapore Chili Shrimp
Cooking Time: 10 Mins.
1/4 cup Canola Oil
1 tbl. Kafir Lime Leaf, Shredded
1 lb. Shrimp, shell on or off, deveined
6 tbls. Singapore Sambal
1 ea. Lime Wedge
1 tbl. Cilantro, chopped
Kosher salt - to taste
1. Add the oil to a sauté pan and heat to a light sizzle.
2. Add the kafir lime leaf to the oil .
3. Add the shrimp to the pan and sauté till it just begins to turn bright pink
4. Add the sambal to the shrimp and stir well to incorporate till the shrimps are
cooked through and the sauce coats the shrimp completely.
5. Squeeze the lime and sprinkle the cilantro over the shrimp.
6. Season with salt to taste.
7. Toss to incorporate and then place on a serving plate
16 oz. Red Jalapeno - Halved and seeded, with a rough chop
8 oz. Shallots, Rough Chop
4 oz. Garlic, Rough Chop
1 cup Canola Oil
2 tbl. Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 tbl Rice Vinegar
1. Process the red jalapeno, shallots and garlic in a food processor to a medium
2. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a non stick pan to a light sizzle.
4. Add the chili mix into the pan and sauté till it is fragrant and the shallot and garlic
turns golden and the oil starts to separate.
5. Add the sugar, salt and vinegar to the mix and stir to incorporate.
6. Remove from heat and transfer to a clean container to cool.
7. Once cooled, you can transfer to an airtight bottle in store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.