Here’s a pre-holiday cup of San Francisco Chronicle Food Section. It’s a huge one today, with lots of extra holiday stuff. We’ll focus more on the seasonal, but do check the Gate for more of the regular features you love so much.
• We get a celebratory dinner menu featuring pork shoulder and other rich tastes that even Bob Cratchit could afford. [A holiday dinner that’s rich in inspiration]
• The trusty old Tasting Panel likes Lucerne egg nog, from Safeway, the best of a somewhat disappointing bunch. Note to panel: Your eggnog tasting was disappointing because eggnog is nasty. [Lucerne eggnog leads lackluster pack]
• A list of restaurants offering New Year’s Eve menus. [Restaurants ready to help you ring in 2009]
• A couple of options for gingerbread house kits. [Where to find prefab and DIY gingerbread houses]
• We get a lip-smacking, artery-clogging look at the deep-fried glories of Hanukkah. [Festival of lights, and fabulous fried food]