Wilbur Hardee, the founder of Hardee’s, died just last Friday at the ripe old age of 89. We never really knew much of the history of the fast-food chain, but on the founder’s death, we’ve learned quite a few interesting things:
• The first Hardee’s opened in Greenville, NC near the East Carolina University campus.
• Burgers cost 15 cents at that first Hardee’s.
• Hardee lost controlling interest of his company after just one drunken night of cards in the early 1960s. He was playing with his two business partners, and he bet his stock. Hardee obviously wasn’t a good card player, because by the end of the night, the other two partners owned 51 percent of the company.
• Hardee’s is fourth among the fast-food chains in the US, behind McDonald’s, Burger King, and Wendy’s.
• That Thickburger pictured above packs a whopping 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat. Eat enough of those and you likely won’t live to see 89.