Good news for gourmands everywhere! Just a few hours ago, the Chicago City Council repealed the two-year-old foie gras ban in the city. It passed with a vote of 37-6 and no debate. Funny how things can change so much in two years. We’re hoping this puts an end to the ban foie gras talk in other cities/states.
To celebrate, we’re going to suggest a few spots in each of your respective cities in which to indulge in foie gras tonight.
• Foie gras is all over New York City menus, but if you want just a taste of it, try a tapa-sized version with five types of onions at Casa Mono.
• In Miami, head over to Michy’s, where there are two foie gras appetizers offered: one with cherry jam and brioche crisps and another with a corn pancake and maple syrup.
• Boston’s much-celebrated O Ya offers an appetizer of foie gras with balsamic chocolate kabayaki, raisin cocoa pulp and aged sake, which sounds pretty amazing.
• Michael Mina in San Francisco serves seared foie gras with huckleberry gastrique and endive, plus some sauces of pickled strawberries and poached rhubarb.
• Philadelphia’s Le Bec-Fin has a pressed foie gras terrine on the menu, with artichokes and a small salad.
Chicago overturns foie gras ban [Chicago Tribune]