When it rains, it pours. Most of these are just opening or about to open. Some are from a few months ago, and one has eluded us since 2006! But all are worthy of note, not least for the reasons given:
• Big Jones — offers New Southern (i.e. fancified New Orleans and Charleston) cuisine starting April 9th. Sipping the Zeitgeist, they have a tea menu!
• Habibi — this Edgewater Lebanese restaurant, which drew the ire of the Dish last week, makes a point of saying they’re open 365 days a year, including New Year’s, Christmas and Thanksgiving. It’s right on the menu!
• Harry Caray’s Tavern — a spawn of the River North original hard by Wrigley Field, indulges in the irritating habit of placing a little ® next to “Holy Cow!” all over their menu, refering to their burgers. COME ON.
• Miss Asia — has every major South-East Asian cuisine except for Burmese. But that’s the one we really wanted!
• Nellie’s — purportedly has Chicago’s only Puerto Rican breakfast buffet! It’s $11.95 for adults and includes coconut oatmeal…
• Risqué Cafe — is Betty-themed. What a powerful cultural meme! Makes their barbecue sound plausible, ain’t it; the chain of association being Betty-Route 66-BBQ. Correct us if we’re wrong.
• Spicy Pickle — a national sandwich chain planning 9 more locations in Chicagoland!
[Photo: five spices pork leg, $14.95 at Miss Asia]