Here’s our attempt at a synopsis of the picks for Memorial Day picnic destinations:
• Angel Island: “Barbecued oysters and Anchor Steam beer on tap at the Cove Cantina, a new outdoor bar with a palm-thatch roof and view of the marina and Marin’s bayfront beyond.”
• The Marina: “On sun-drenched days, the streets and sidewalks that run along the Marina Green and Chrissy Field continuously pulse with in-line skaters, joggers, cyclists and those simply out for a casual stroll. Between that and the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz and the bay, it’s hard to say what’s more entertaining – the views or the people-watching.” MenuPages picks for dining in the area: Greens Restaurant, Mel’s Drive-In , Mezes, Mi Lindo Peru.
• Mission Dolores Park: “But even without special events, I love getting together with friends for an impromptu picnic. I live a few blocks from the park, and on my way, I pick up food at Bi-Rite Market, which is usually packed with other folks doing the same thing.” MenuPages picks for dining in the area: Taqueria El Castillito, Tangerine, Dolores Park Cafe.
• Half Moon Bay: “The salt air. The waves. Feeling away from it all. And if it’s sunny, you’ll wonder why it’s not called paradise.”
• Tomales Bay: “Tomales Bay State Park is home to four secluded public beaches, all easy places to land. Heart’s Desire Beach, about 2 miles (an hourlong paddle) from Inverness, is the most popular, and has picnic tables, restrooms and outdoor showers.”