We have been extraordinarily remiss in our failure to tell you until now that May is National Hamburger Month. To correct our faux pas, we now present you with five fun facts about everyone’s favorite bar food.
1) In a year the average American eats 112 pounds of beef. We’re willing to bet that at least half of that is hamburger. (Just think of that second sentence as a bonus conjecture.)
2) The original hamburger was most probably a treat from (wait for it) Hamburg, Germany, in which scraps of beef or pork were served in a warm bun.
3) Both the state of Texas and the town of Seymour, Wisconsin claim to be the official home of the hamburger.
4) Takeru Kobayashi is the current hamburger-eating champion speed-eater. In October 2006, he consumed 97 hamburgers in eight minutes.
5) Hamburgers are exceedingly delicious. (Some might call that an opinion, but we stand by our use of the word “fact”.)