· Craig LaBan tries the “treacly sweetness and frills” of Cebu.
· Hey, freshly baked bread is simple and sensual.
· Forget minestrone. Ribollita is the new Italian bean soup.
· Loofahs aren’t just for the shower anymore.
· Lots of news over at Table Talk. A new “global restaurant-lounge” is opening in the former Lula space at 12th and Locust owned by the ex-owner of Woody’s, Bill Wood. Tinto is now requiring reservations for seats at the bar (because, damn it, everyone loves Basque food) and chef Jose Garces’ next Philly restaurant will be Chilango in West Philly. Misconduct Tavern on Locust Street is reopening; The Soy Cafe in Northern Liberties is reopening in the former Pond space with expanded hours and a new Marathon Grill is opening in the former Yogi’s space at 10th and Walnut. For airport travelers, Chickie’s & Pete’s is expanding to PHI.
· And, lastly, Rick Nichols is getting a new kitchen.