The Hunt for NYC’s Best Tacos
New York restaurant critic Adam Platt is a taco purist. His daughter Penelope, however, is more impressed with creative cuisine. The two recently set out in NYC to pit traditional tacos against modern Mexican fare.
When it comes to time-tested Mexican food, it’s hard to beat Taco Mix, a bustling Queens eatery that prides itself on real tacos and specializes in slow-roasted al pastor. Mexican immigrant Filadelfo Sanchez opened the restaurant 1990, and to this day, it’s still family-run. Meanwhile at the Black Ant on the Lower East Side, founder Jorge Guzman and chef Mario Hernandez do things a little differently. The modern Mexican restaurant builds on its culinary heritage with innovative twists on ancient foods, like grasshopper-encrusted shrimp and tacos with miso-adobo beets.
Watch the video above to see how a seasoned food critic and his on-trend daughter think the two compare.
- The Hunt for NYC’s Best Tacos
- I Tried to Become a Chocolatier at Jacques Torres Chocolates
- I Tried to Become a Waitress at Junior’s
- We Sent a Food Critic to the Museum of Pizza
- I Tried to Become a World-Class Cheese Expert in One Day
- Which Breakfast Is Better: Newfangled Acai Bowls, or Classic Eggs and Bacon?
- Teen vs. Food Critic: Taste-Testing a Viral Cookie
- We Tested the World’s First Desktop Mealworm Farm
- Watch What Happens When You Put Two Giant Cream Puffs Under Pressure
- Watch: Are Grain Bowls Made by Robots the Food of the Future?
- Watch: NYC’s Biggest Chocolate Factory Is a Queens Institution
- These Perfect Bistro Desserts Will Remind You of the Power of French Pastry
- A New-Look Diner Serves NYC’s Boldest Brunch Sandwich
- These Life-Changing Tater-Tot Nachos Speak for Themselves
- Don’t Sleep on This Fantastic, Totally Unique Pho
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Buffalo Shrimp With Blue Cheese
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Party-Ready Queso Fundido
- Make Mark Bittman’s Simple Avocado Soup With Crab Salad
- New York’s Most Exciting New Steakhouse Is Also a Korean BBQ Joint
- Bittman’s Kitchen: A Fast and Furious Turkey Lunch