Bittman’s Kitchen: You Can Make This Queso Fundido in Under 13 Minutes
This appetizer manages to be delicious without requiring much work from the cook at all (cheese is really doing the heavy lifting here). With pre-grated cheese and pre-cut vegetables, this recipe comes together in seconds. Just toss everything in a pan and open a bag of chips.
Mushroom Queso Fundido
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 package pre-sliced baby portobello mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
salt and pepper
12 ounces Jack, Oaxaca, or mozzarella cheese (3 cups grated)
Cilantro to garnish
1. Turn the broiler to high; put the rack 4 inches from the heat.
2. Put the olive oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms soften, about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. When the mushrooms are soft, turn off the heat, add the cheese to the skillet, and toss until the mushrooms are evenly distributed.
5. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and brown. Garnish with cilantro and serve.