Bittman’s Kitchen: Simple Avocado Soup With Crab Salad
Avocado, crab, and corn are delicious, and require zero fuss. Combining them gives you a soup that’s creamy, crunchy, briny, and beautifully colored. Plus, you don’t even have to turn on the stove.
3 medium avocados
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 ears fresh corn
2 cups lump crab meat
hot sauce (optional)
1. Halve the avocados and the lime. Pit the avocados and scoop the flesh into a blender.
2. Add milk, chili powder, and a sprinkle of salt to the blender. Squeeze in juice of half the lime; reserve the rest.
3. Purée until smooth, then put the blender in the freezer.
4. Husk the corn and cut the kernels off the cob.
5. Pick through the crabmeat and discard the pieces of shell or cartilage. Trim and chop the scallions.
6. Combine the crab, corn, and scallions in a medium mixing bowl. Squeeze in the juice of the remaining 1/2 lime, add a dash of hot sauce (optional), sprinkle with salt, and toss to combine.
7. Retrieve the avocado soup from the freezer, taste, and adjust the seasoning. Divide the soup among 4 large bowls. Top each with the crab mixture and tortilla chips. Serve immediately.