Bittman’s Kitchen: Make Thai-Style Steak Wraps in Under 10 Minutes
For a fresh meal that’s ready in under ten minutes, skirt steak is your best friend. The meat only takes a few minutes to cook, and you can throw together a quick sauce in the meantime.
1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
Salt and pepper
1 fresh hot chile
2 tablespoons peanuts
1/4 cup fish sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 head Boston lettuce
1 bunch fresh mint
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 bunch fresh Thai or regular basil
1. Prepare a grill or turn the broiler to high; put the rack 4 inches from the heat. Blot the steak with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Grill or broil the steak, turning as necessary, until it is charred on both sides, but still a bit pinker inside than you like it. About 5 to 10 minutes total.
3. Add 1/4 cup fish sauce and 1 tablespoon brown sugar to the bowl.
4. When the steak is done, transfer it to a cutting board. Remove the leaves from the head of lettuce, leaving them intact. Strip about 1/2 cup each mint leaves, cilantro leaves, and Thai or regular basil leaves from their stems.
5. Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Put it on a serving platter with the lettuce and herbs.
6. Serve with the dipping sauce on the side. To eat, put the steak and herbs in the lettuce leaves, roll, and dip in the sauce.
- Watch: NYC’s Biggest Chocolate Factory Is a Queens Institution
- These Perfect Bistro Desserts Will Remind You of the Power of French Pastry
- A New-Look Diner Serves NYC’s Boldest Brunch Sandwich
- These Life-Changing Tater-Tot Nachos Speak for Themselves
- Don’t Sleep on This Fantastic, Totally Unique Pho
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Buffalo Shrimp With Blue Cheese
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Party-Ready Queso Fundido
- Make Mark Bittman’s Simple Avocado Soup With Crab Salad
- New York’s Most Exciting New Steakhouse Is Also a Korean BBQ Joint
- Bittman’s Kitchen: A Fast and Furious Turkey Lunch
- How to Make a Healthy Chicken Dinner in Under 13 Minutes
- Mark Bittman’s Trick for the Fastest-Possible Grilled Cheese
- How to Make Mark Bittman’s Tuna Poke in Under 10 Minutes
- Make Mark Bittman’s Thai-Style Steak Wraps in Under 10 Minutes
- Mark Bittman’s Breakfast Bruschetta Is the Perfect Busy-Morning Meal
- You Need to Try Rabbit Lasagna
- Watch: How to Make Mark Bittman’s Signature ‘Chicken Marknuggets’
- Witness the Creation of NYC’s Best Cannoli in 60 Delectable Seconds
- NYC’s Absolute Best Guacamole Is Hidden Under a Gigantic Chip
- The Best Pizza in Staten Island Will Make You Forget You’re in Staten Island