Bittman’s Kitchen: Make the Fastest-Possible Grilled Cheese
A grilled cheese is simple, reliable, and satisfying. You probably even have the ingredients on hand right now. Now, it’s time to optimize the recipe: By cooking the sandwiches under the broiler, you’ll be able to have snacks for a whole crowd in just a few minutes. Follow the technique in the video above, and you’ll never disappoint a hungry friend or family member again.
Makes: 4 open-faced sandwiches
4 tablespoons butter (optional)
8 ounces cheese, sliced or grated
4 slices sandwich bread
1. Turn the broiler to high; put the rack to 6 inches from the heat.
2. Put the bread on a rimmed baking sheet and broil on one side until browned. Flip the bread and broil quickly, just until it’s slightly toasted.
3. Remove the bread and spread with butter, if using. Top the less-toasted side with the cheese, and broil. They’re done when the cheese is melted, about 2 or 3 minutes. Top with ground pepper and parsley. Serve immediately.
- Let a Marketing Expert Explain the Enchanting Science Behind Red Candy
- Watch: NYC’s Biggest Chocolate Factory Is a Queens Institution
- These Perfect Bistro Desserts Will Remind You of the Power of French Pastry
- A New-Look Diner Serves NYC’s Boldest Brunch Sandwich
- These Life-Changing Tater-Tot Nachos Speak for Themselves
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Buffalo Shrimp With Blue Cheese
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Party-Ready Queso Fundido