Bittman’s Kitchen: Make the Fastest-Possible Grilled Cheese
A grilled cheese is simple, reliable, and satisfying. You probably even have the ingredients on hand right now. Now, it’s time to optimize the recipe: By cooking the sandwiches under the broiler, you’ll be able to have snacks for a whole crowd in just a few minutes. Follow the technique in the video above, and you’ll never disappoint a hungry friend or family member again.
Makes: 4 open-faced sandwiches
4 tablespoons butter (optional)
8 ounces cheese, sliced or grated
4 slices sandwich bread
1. Turn the broiler to high; put the rack to 6 inches from the heat.
2. Put the bread on a rimmed baking sheet and broil on one side until browned. Flip the bread and broil quickly, just until it’s slightly toasted.
3. Remove the bread and spread with butter, if using. Top the less-toasted side with the cheese, and broil. They’re done when the cheese is melted, about 2 or 3 minutes. Top with ground pepper and parsley. Serve immediately.
- Bittman’s Kitchen: A Fast and Furious Turkey Lunch
- New York’s Most Exciting New Steakhouse Is Also a Korean BBQ Joint
- How to Make Mark Bittman’s Tuna Poke in Under 10 Minutes
- Make Mark Bittman’s Thai-Style Steak Wraps in Under 10 Minutes
- Mark Bittman’s Breakfast Bruschetta Is the Perfect Busy-Morning Meal
- Check Out the View at New York’s Best Rooftop Bar
- The Best Delivery in All of New York Comes From This 4-Person Sushi Booth
- You May Never Have to Worry About a Dirty Whisk Again
- These Images of Fruits Before We Domesticated Them Will Blow Your Mind
- The Best Pizza in Staten Island Will Make You Forget You’re in Staten Island
- WATCH: How to Make New York’s Most Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
- WATCH: There’s a Restaurant in London That Only Serves Potato Chips
- A Coffee Expert Gets Real About Why You Should Ditch Your Keurig
- This Vertical Egg Cooker Produces Sickening, Fascinating Omelets-on-a-Stick