WATCH: The Only Chicken Parm Recipe You’ll Ever Want to Make
On Sunday evenings, The NoMad Bar pulls out its red-and-white checkered tablecloths and transforms into Mamma Guidara’s: an Italian-American-inspired dining experience. A variety of classics rotate weekly on the four-course, prix-fixe menu, including a chicken Parmesan for two. Executive chef James Kent walked us through the recipe of this mouthwatering dish.
For Mamma Guidara’s exact dish, first prepare the steps below.
4 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
4 cloves garlic
4 sprigs thyme
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
2. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the flour is cooked out but without any color, about 5 minutes.
3. While cooking the flour, combine the milk, garlic, and thyme in a separate saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
4. When the flour is cooked, add the simmering milk to the flour and whisk well.
5. Continue to cook the milk and flour mixture while whisking until it returns to a simmer.
6. Strain the sauce through a chinois and season with salt. Keep warm.
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 diced onion, 1/8 inch
3 cloves finely minced garlic
3 - 280z cans whole, peeled tomatoes
3 sprigs basil
3 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over low heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes to the pot and bring to a simmer.
4. Using butcher’s twine, tie the basil, thyme, and bay leaf into a sachet and add to the tomatoes.
5. Cook the sauce over very low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until reduced by half, about 6 hours.
6. Remove and discard the herb bundle.
7. Grind the sauce through the small holes of a food mill.
8. Season with salt. Keep warm.
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup garlic powder
3 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- We Tested the World’s First Desktop Mealworm Farm
- Watch What Happens When You Put Two Giant Cream Puffs Under Pressure
- Watch: Are Grain Bowls Made by Robots the Food of the Future?
- Watch: NYC’s Biggest Chocolate Factory Is a Queens Institution
- These Perfect Bistro Desserts Will Remind You of the Power of French Pastry
- A New-Look Diner Serves NYC’s Boldest Brunch Sandwich
- These Life-Changing Tater-Tot Nachos Speak for Themselves
- Don’t Sleep on This Fantastic, Totally Unique Pho
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Buffalo Shrimp With Blue Cheese
- Bittman’s Kitchen: Party-Ready Queso Fundido
- Make Mark Bittman’s Simple Avocado Soup With Crab Salad
- New York’s Most Exciting New Steakhouse Is Also a Korean BBQ Joint
- Bittman’s Kitchen: A Fast and Furious Turkey Lunch
- How to Make a Healthy Chicken Dinner in Under 13 Minutes
- Mark Bittman’s Trick for the Fastest-Possible Grilled Cheese
- How to Make Mark Bittman’s Tuna Poke in Under 10 Minutes
- Make Mark Bittman’s Thai-Style Steak Wraps in Under 10 Minutes
- Mark Bittman’s Breakfast Bruschetta Is the Perfect Busy-Morning Meal
- You Need to Try Rabbit Lasagna
- Watch: How to Make Mark Bittman’s Signature ‘Chicken Marknuggets’