The little red guidebook announced its "Bib Gourmand" picks for New York City last week, and this afternoon Michelin published its collection of starred restaurants for its 2015 guide. Most notably, Daniel Boulud's flagship lost a star — it now has two instead of three — while Brooklyn's River Café, which was decimated by Hurricane Sandy, is now back on the list. The surprises include Patti Jackson's Delaware and Hudson, the sleepy Carroll Gardens restaurant Take Root, and Pok Pok Ny. The full list is straight ahead.
Danny Brown Wine Bar & Kitchen
Delaware and Hudson
Gotham Bar and Grill
The Musket Room
M. Wells Steakhouse
Pok Pok Ny
The River Café
Sushi of Gari
Torrisi Italian Specialities
ZZ's Clam Bar
So, what are the most notable trends, shifts, and notes of New York's Michelin star system since last year's ratings were released?
• Daniel lost a star. Michael Ellis, who serves as international director for Michelin, explained the downgrade to Bloomberg's Richard Vines. "Daniel Boulud is a great chef and he's got a wildly popular restaurant. But we've been following him closely and he hasn't been consistently delivering food at the three-star level," he said. It seems like the issues may be more complex than that, however.
• Blanca scored a huge win. Carlo Mirachi's tasting menu-based Blanca bumped up to two stars, from one, making it the only Brooklyn restaurant in the two-star range.
• Brooklyn made a strong showing otherwise. Patti Jackson's five-month-old Delaware and Hudson, which specializes in mid-Atlantic roots food, nabbed a star, as did Pok Pok Ny, La Vara, Luksus, and Take Root.
• Several restaurants lost their stars altogether. Most notably, Hooni Kim's Danji and Anita Lo's Annisa lost their stars. Tamarind Tribeca and Sichuan specialist Lan Sheng did as well. And both A Voce Columbus and A Voce Madison, which remained in the guide last year after chef Missy Robbins left the restaurant group, have now been taken off the list.
• The guide said goodbye to some great places. Aska and Le Restaurant, which closed, no longer appear among the guide's rankings, while Wylie Dufresne's wd~50 has lost its star because it too will close. Rouge Tomate, which shuttered in August and has yet to announce the address of its new home, was presumably dropped for the same reason.