Miami Beach Woman Who Drank Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail Sues Everyone

By
Too cold to hold. Photo: iStockphoto

Barbara Kaufman, a Miami beach grandmother, had to be hospitalized for five days back in January after she drank an alcoholic drink chilled with liquid nitrogen at a Miami Beach Botanical Garden fund-raiser. "I had smoke coming out of my eyes and nose," she tells the Herald. Kaufman has made a recovery from the incident, which left holes in her esophagus and stomach, and is now suing the venue, the company that provided the cocktail, and Kryogenifex, the liquid nitrogen distributor. A similar incident in 2012 led to a crackdown on super-chilled cocktails in the United Kingdom. [Miami Herald, Related]