Did Fox News Try to Banish Big Gay Ice Cream From the Daily Meal’s Top-Ten List? [Updated]
Summer's come and gone, but ice-cream weather is forever, which is why this tweet from Bryan Petroff and Doug Quint gave us pause. It seems as though, in its repost of the Daily Meal's "25 Best Ice Cream Parlors in the World" listicle, Fox News decided to take the Big Gay Ice Cream guys down a few notches.
Here's what they noticed:
Is there a conspiracy afoot? Here are the original top-ten rankings from the Daily Meal's May post:
1. Fenocchio, Nice, France
2. Bar Gelateria Ercole, Pizzo, Italy
3. Vipiteno Gelateria, Sao Paulo, Brazil
4. Antico Caffè Spinnato, Palermo, Italy
5. Big Gay Ice Cream, New York City
6. Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream, Seattle
7. Perché No!, Florence, Italy
8. Murphy's, Dingle, Ireland
9. Bi-Rite Creamery, San Francisco
10. Vaffelbageriet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Here's the reworked list, à la Fox News:
1. The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, New York City
2 The Creamery, Cape Town, South Africa
3. Vaffelbageriet, Copenhagen, Denmark
4. Taos Cow, Arroyo Seco, N.M.
5. Max & Mina’s, Flushing, N.Y.
6. Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream, Seattle
7. Morelli’s Gourmet Ice Cream, Atlanta
8. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, Ohio and Nashville, Tenn.
9. Murphy’s, Dingle, Ireland
10. Big Gay Ice Cream, New York City
So, more than a few oddities abound: The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, which takes Fox's top spot, was ranked at number 21 on the original list. Curiously, Cape Town's the Creamery and Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams landed the No. 11 and 12 spots in the Daily Meal's list, respectively.
Only the Creamery, Molly Moon's, Murphy's, and Big Gay appear in both lists, but while Vaffelbageriet climbs from the no. 10 spot to no. 3, and the others basically maintain their positions, Big Gay Ice Cream shop is chucked five spots down. As such, it's the only place that appears in each list that loses ranking. Maybe someone was worried about the prominence of the shop's "Salty Pimps" and "Gobblers," so it got buried all the way at the bottom of the page? Is Rupert Murdoch really that afraid of Mexican Affo'gay'tos?
Update: Commenter Porq points out that FoxNews.com has edited its post with the original Daily Meal rankings and this note: "A previous version of this story incorrectly ranked a number of the ice cream parlors listed here, and omitted others that should have been included. FoxNews.com regrets the error."
Tweet [Big Gay Ice Cream/Twitter]
Related: Big Gay Ice Cream Revamps Menu, Intros Homemade Toppings
* This post has been updated.