More bad food news: Eighty restaurant patrons in Beijing had to be hospitalized after they ordered and ate eggplant stir-fries that were spiked with clonidine, which caused immediate fatigue, dizziness, and vomiting. 34 of the restaurant's customers needed to have the drug cleaned from their bloodstream, the Salt reports, quoting a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine. According to the folks from the No. 307 Hospital of the People's Liberation Army, who authored the study with members of Chinese Academy of Military Medical Sciences, the intentional poisoning was designed to draw customers to a rival, presumably clonidine-free restaurant back in 2010, so we should all be safe.
After the recent, sad news of the Tunisian man who died after eating 28 raw eggs, however, and the fiendish hot pot that burned a whole through another man's stomach, and also the insidious brussels sprouts in Scotland, there's real potential for a downright macabre tasting menu coming together here.
Docs Discover Drug-Spiked Eggplant Sent Beijing Diners To Hospital [The Salt/NPR]
Earlier: Man Dies From Eating 28 Raw Eggs