Family Nearly Dies From Wild-Mushroom Stir-fry

By
Helpful hint: If the name has "death" in it, don't eat it.
Helpful hint: If the name has "death" in it, don't eat it. Photo: iStockphoto

It may be mushroom season, but take heed if you’re planning to forage your own. The latest tale of accidental poisoning comes out of Connecticut, where a woman’s stir-fry of backyard mushrooms sent her family of four to the hospital last week, nearly causing liver failure for her older daughter. Noor Shah picked the innocuous-looking white fungi (later discovered to be the highly poisonous Destroying Angel strain) in her backyard, and fried them up with onions, garlic, and chili peppers, a dish everyone agreed was "tasty" — until the stomach pains and vomiting started.

Helpful hint: If the name has "death" in it, don't eat it.
Helpful hint: If the name has "death" in it, don't eat it. Photo: iStockphoto

All four Shahs wound up in the hospital the next day, where the parents and younger daughter quickly responded to charcoal and drug treatment; their 24-year-old daughter had a harder time but is expected to make a full recovery thanks to an experimental drug. Just another example of why it’s better to leave this whole mushroom-hunting business to the pros — although sometimes even that can end badly.

Backyard Mushrooms Nearly Deadly For Family [CTNow via Gawker]