When the Times ran its article about the bevy of Kennedy Fried Chickens, we noted that three locations had been closed by the Health Department so far this year. Add a fourth: Yesterday (just a day after the article was published!) the KFC at 256 West 116 Street was shuttered with 61 demerit points, thanks to the violations listed below. Yes, sometimes these places really are as gross as their picture menus …
Violations from 02/14/2011 Inspection
Violation points: 61
Establishment Closed by DOHMH. Violations were cited in the following area(s) and those requiring immediate action were addressed.
1) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
2) Raw, cooked or prepared food is adulterated, contaminated, cross-contaminated, or not discarded in accordance with HACCP plan.
3) Evidence of rats or live rats present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
4) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
5) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
6) Proper sanitization not provided for utensil ware washing operation.
7) Single service item reused, improperly stored, dispensed; not used when required.
8) Other general violation.