Perennially packed tapas joint El Quinto Pino has been closed by the Health Department after racking up 44 demerit points during a November 12 inspection. As you can see below, violations include evidence of rats and mice, improper plumbing, and failure to post Choking first aid and Alcohol and pregnancy signs. We havent yet gotten the official story from the restaurant, but an employee tells us its still closed while they repair rain damage in the basement. It should be noted that the Health Department got the restaurants phone number wrong so much for the health inspectors celebrated attention to detail.
EL QUINTO PINO
401 WEST 24 STREET MANHATTAN 10011
Violations from 11/12/2010 Inspection
Violation points: 44
Establishment Closed by DOHMH. Violations were cited in the following area(s) and those requiring immediate action were addressed.
1) Evidence of rats or live rats present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
2) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
3) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
4) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
5) Plumbing not properly installed or maintained; anti-siphonage or backflow prevention device not provided where required; equipment or floor not properly drained; sewage disposal system in disrepair or not functioning properly.
6) Non-food contact surface improperly constructed. Unacceptable material used. Non-food contact surface or equipment improperly maintained and/or not properly sealed, raised, spaced or movable to allow accessibility for cleaning on all sides, above and underneath the unit.
1) Choking first aid poster not posted. Alcohol and pregnancy warning sign not posted. Resuscitation equipment: exhaled air resuscitation masks (adult & pediatric), latex gloves, sign not posted. Inspection report sign not posted.