Robert Sietsema recently walked around and recorded the letter grades of the 150 restaurants he passed. Seventy-six percent got As; 8 percent (two restaurants) got Bs, and one had a C (there were also three “Grade Pending” notices). Apparently he didn’t pass by Obama Fried Chicken in Harlem, because according to the Health Department’s website, it was closed last week with a whopping 115 violation points (that’s almost 100 points past the C mark!). They were doled out owing to live roaches and flies, evidence of rats, inadequate personal hygiene, temperature violations, and so on. Apparently naming yourself after the president doesn’t earn you a break from the Health Department.
OBAMA FRIED CHICKEN
110 ST NICHOLAS AVENUE MANHATTAN 10026
1) Hot food item not held at or above 140º F.
2) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
3) Food Protection Certificate not held by supervisor of food operations.
4) Appropriately scaled metal stem-type thermometer or thermocouple not provided or used to evaluate temperatures of potentially hazardous foods during cooking, cooling, reheating and holding.
5) Evidence of rats or live rats present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
6) Live roaches present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
7) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
8) Hand washing facility not provided in or near food preparation area and toilet room. Hot and cold running water at adequate pressure to enable cleanliness of employees not provided at facility. Soap and an acceptable hand-drying device not provided.
9) Personal cleanliness inadequate. Outer garment soiled with possible contaminant. Effective hair restraint not worn in an area where food is prepared.
10) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
11) Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use and following any activity when contamination may have occurred.
12) Sanitized equipment or utensil, including in-use food dispensing utensil, improperly used or stored.
13) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
14) Covered garbage receptacle not provided or inadequate, except that garbage receptacle may be uncovered during active use. Garbage storage area not properly constructed or maintained; grinder or compactor dirty.
15) Pesticide use not in accordance with label or applicable laws. Prohibited chemical used/stored. Open bait station used.
16) Canned food product observed dented and not segregated from other consumable food items.
17) Non-food contact surface improperly constructed. Unacceptable material used. Non-food contact surface or equipment improperly maintained and/or not properly sealed, raised, spaced or movable to allow accessibility for cleaning on all sides, above and underneath the unit.
18) Food service operation occurring in room used as living or sleeping quarters.
19) Proper sanitization not provided for utensil ware washing operation.