Our only reason for spending hours on Sunday watching the big game or its accompanying ads and pre-shows will be to gorge on gumbo in honor first-time Super Bowl contenders, the New Orleans Saints. Luckily, Urban Tavern near Union Square will be offering free (hopefully decent) gumbo and the nearby Cityhouse at the Parc 55 hotel will have drink specials all day to go with their 42-inch flat-screen TVs.
Other Super Bowl-related meals and deals:
• Ryan Farr from 4505 Meats will be spit-roasting a hog at Bloodhound (1145 Folsom) starting at 2 p.m. The bar will be serving $5 cachaça drinks and offering happy hour prices on everything else ($1 off).
• For the gays and their hangers-on, Truck (1900 Folsom) is having a beer bust starting at 3 p.m., and they’ll be serving their usual burger-and-fry menu all day.
• The fine folks at Cajun Pacific (4542 Irving) have take-and-bake deals for things like shrimp remoulade, andouille and chicken gumbo, and creole crawfish pasta. See the full menu here, and you can pick up your food Saturday or Sunday. [via Zagat Buzz]
• It may not be cajun, but chili is classic Super Bowl Fare. Bottom of the Hill is hosting a crock pot chili cookoff, starting at 2:30. [SFoodie]
• Down at at Ghirardelli Square, chain seafood restaurant McCormick & Kuleto’s is offering 99-cent bar snacks all day to encourage a football-watching crowd (likely this does not include their signature crab cakes). If you want a table in the restaurant to take part in an all-day prize drawing, make a reservation here.