• This whole salmonella disaster has been traced to just one little jalapeño pepper grown in Mexico, which the Feds found in a Texas distribution center.
Related: Feds Finger Jalapeños As Source of Salmonella Cases
• Feel free to eat oysters any month of the year, since most commercially harvested shellfish sidestep the problems that can affect them in summer months. [NYT]
• The lines for food at the Red Hook ball fields are longer than ever. We hope this won’t lead to a decrease in business for the vendors, who have spent tens of thousands of dollars to meet the city’s standards. [Fork in the Road/VV]
• Will pigeons be the next protein locavores add to their diet? [Wired]
• Don’t think you can get away with cutting the mold off an old piece of bread or an aging piece of fruit, since there’s more mold on food than meets the eye. [NYT]